Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Hospital Stay (poem by me)

A Hospital Stay

I am in a room with four walls
laying on a bed and looking at the ceiling
waiting to see what the next day or two may bring me
the nurse tries to find a vein to stick an iv in
they stick and stick until my hand is sore
Finally they find one but it does not stay in
The nurses are slow in giving my medicine
when they know I should be on a schedule
but then again they want to give me another dose
just when I had one two hours ago
As I lay here trying to sleep
I break out in a cold sweat
Then feeling like I'm going to pass out
I get to feeling weaker, calling for a nurse
Knowing that my sugar has dropped
and I need to get some before I go into a coma
I call and it seems like it takes forever for someone to come
Finally you show up to check on my sugar
and as I suspected it is low and I need sugar fast
As you are giving me dextrose 50 in my vein
I start feeling better as it goes in
you also bring me juice and something to eat
then I start feeling better as my sugar starts to raise
the next day, the food you bring me to eat
is not what I am to have according to my doctor
I have to call the dietician to get it right
hoping that my lunch will come to me right
I am wanting to go home
but my doctor tells me I still have to much fluid built up
My legs are so tight and they hurt so bad
that I am taking pain pills every 6 hours
I can not stand on my feet
or get my shoes on
I am so tired of being sick
I try so hard to do what the doctor tells me
why is it not working?
I just want to be well
Just why am I going through so much hell
I will be so glad to get home and in my bed
I am so tired of looking at the same four walls



written by LC 2/8/01

No comments: